Monday 19 October 2015

God is Fun.



Who is God?

He is the creator of pleasure.

I heard in a sermon today that Eden means, "pleasure" or "delight." I hadn't known that, and it made me smile.

"For a meaning of the name Eden, The NOBSE Study Bible Name List reads Delight, Pleasantness
Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names renders Paradise, A Place Of Delight."
http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Eden.html#.ViSZrPmrTIU

I would guess most people don't think of God as a God of pleasure, but he is. Think of how a beautiful sunset, a roaring ocean or a mountain covered in snow makes you feel. Pleasure. Delight. More and more, I think of God as a poet, an artist and a being who just loves life and loves to share it all. He created sexual union, which is one of the greatest pleasures. He could have made sex happen with no physical feeling at all; instead he made it an act of ecstacy.

When he gave us sex, he gave us the ablility to create our own children; he shared his creative power with us. Think of the joy a mother and father have when they first see their child. This is how God must have felt when he made the angels and Adam and Eve. He made the world for them and then he gave them a special garden to live in called, "Pleasure." Amazing. An amazing God.

When Psalm 16:11 says there are, "eternal pleasures at your right hand," I can't wait to find out what they are. I have lots of pleasure here, but I'm sure it is much better in heaven when we see him face to face.

"You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."  Psalm 16:11

"So don't be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom." Luke 12:32

"The LORD takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love." Psalm 147:11

"The LORD directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives."  Psalm 37:23

For the LORD takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with salvation. Psalm 149:4

"For the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me and have believed that I came from God."  John 16:27

"For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul."  Proverbs 2:10

Who am I?

Since I thought God wasn't too happy with me for most of my life, I didn't equate him with pleasure. My bad! I had a dream about 6 years ago. Jesus and I were riding on two black horses. We were riding very fast. He was laughing and so was I. I looked over at him, his hair was flying back with the wind and he looked so happy. Then, as I turned and looked ahead, our horses grew great black wings and we flew up and up... I knew we were headed towards heaven. 

I think God gave me this dream to show me he is a God who wants me to enjoy his company; and he wanted to show me that he enjoyed my company too. When I am in heaven, I'm going to ask Jesus to go horseback riding with me. I'm looking forward to it.