Friday 2 October 2015

Falling in Love with God."


The first time I read Song of Solomon I thought, "Why is this crazy poem in the Bible? What does it have to do with God?"  I couldn't figure it out so I asked God what it meant.  A thought came into my mind, "This is how I want you to love me."

Whoa, that hadn't crossed my mind. As far as I could see, Solomon was in love with this girl and wooed her by saying stuff like,


"Your hair is like a flock of goats
descending from the hills of Gilead.
Your teeth are like a flock of sheep just shorn,
coming up from the washing.
Each has its twin; not one of them is alone." 
( I guess she didn't have any missing teeth, which was a bonus in those days.)


I thought about myself falling in love and what it is like. I remember thinking about my boyfriend for hours during the day. I was constantly wondering what he was doing; I couldn't wait to see him after work and then have the whole weekend together. I was full of happiness when I was with him. That's what I saw in Song of Solomon. But how was I going to feel like that about God?

I  have always prayed, "Help me to love you with all my heart, soul and strength and my neighbor as myself." Love has been my goal for many years. But I had to be honest, I didn't have a "feeling" of love for God very often. 

A few weeks ago, I listened to some talks by Ty Gibson. He talks about how God loves us like no one else I have ever heard. After listening for some days, I finally got it. I finally believed God loved me. He really loved me.

I'd known that in my mind, but never in my heart. I believed the Bible when it told me God is love and God loves you; but I always had a sneaking suspicion that he was only putting up with me because he had to. I thought I was a big disappointment to him.

But here comes the great surprise. The greatest surprise of all. When I believed God did love me, I finally had that amazing feeling of falling in love with Him. I just love talking with him, thinking about him and spending a whole day alone with him. 

I know why that happened. If you don't believe someone likes you, then you hold back. You keep your distance. You don't trust. How could I love someone I didn't trust? 

So, now I'm in love with God.  Amazing.

Here are a few of my favorite verses from Song of Solomon.

The girl Solomon loves is speaking here: 

Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest
is my beloved among the young men.
I delight to sit in his shade,
and his fruit is sweet to my taste.
Let him lead me to the banquet hall,
and let his banner over me be love.

Strengthen me with raisins,
refresh me with apples,
for I am faint with love.
His left arm is under my head,
and his right arm embraces me.

Listen! My beloved!
Look! Here he comes,
leaping across the mountains,
bounding over the hills.
My beloved is like a gazelle or a young stag.

Look! There he stands behind our wall,
gazing through the windows,
peering through the lattice.

My beloved spoke and said to me,
“Arise, my darling,
my beautiful one, come with me.
See! The winter is past;
the rains are over and gone.

Arise, come, my darling;
my beautiful one, come with me.”

I now see Jesus, running through the forest to my house; he's looking through my window, knocking on my door, asking me to come away with him to heaven. 

He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!"  Revelation 22:20

Here is where you can find some of Ty Gibson's talks. "An Endless Falling in Love," is one of the best.