Sunday 29 October 2017

Rage and the Christian.



Today, I felt rage flooding up inside me. Someone said to me, “Why didn’t you ask me to help you earlier? I’m tired now.”

I did ask you earlier. The thing is, there is no good time to ask you. Any time is the wrong time. Everything I say is the wrong thing. Everything I do is done wrong.

That’s what the rage was saying to my heart. It feels weird to be that angry. I usually don’t have too much trouble with anger. I say, "I did ask you." You say, "No, you didn't."

There is no winning this argument. The argument itself is a dead loss. Nothing will change. I know that, but sometimes I'll keep arguing anyway. I only shut up today because I could feel God there in the room with us.

I thought about Jesus. What would he do if someone was finding fault with him? He would be patient, loving and not take offence. Did he feel anger and have to deal with it? Yes, I think so.

 The Bible says Jesus was tempted in everything as we are. It isn’t a sin to feel anger, but it is a sin to let it make you do wrong. It is a sin if you nurse your anger and let it turn to hate.

I was listening to Don Moen’s song, “Be Still/Know I am God.” It is my favorite song. It helped me once again in seeing I needed to soar with my Father above the flood of my emotions. I needed to be still and know he is God. He can lift me above anger and resentment. He can make me act how Jesus acted when he was here.


Be Still  (Lyrics)
By Don Moen


Hide me now
Under Your wings
Cover me
Within Your mighty hand

CHORUS:
When the oceans rise
And the thunders roar
I Will soar with You
Above the storm
Father You are King
Over the flood
And I will be still
And know You are God

Find rest my soul
In Christ alone
Know His power
In quietness and trust

Be still and know
That I am God

I am the God
That healeth thee