Saturday 1 July 2023

We Don't Want You Here.

 


                                                               Painting by Guercino

Yesterday, I listened to a podcast where a woman in her forties spoke about what happened to her when she was young. She was a Christian with two small children when her husband left her for another woman. She went to church after her divorce and signed up for a Bible Study group at her pastor’s house.

When she arrived, her pastor opened the door and was not inviting at all. He looked at her like he didn’t want her there. She went into a room and men and women were sitting in chairs. She found out, to her chagrin, that it was a Bible Study on marriage. She sat down near some women and they stood up and moved away from her. She sat near some men and they did the same thing. No one spoke a word to her. When people were sharing their stories, they did not let her take a turn to talk. She said, “I think I will leave now.” No one said anything. She sat in her car and cried.

I can say, with all the authority of the Bible, that those people were not acting like Jesus. They either hadn’t read the Bible or they didn’t care what the Bible said. They were not acting like Christians.

The woman joined another church. She offered to teach the little children. A woman said to her, “Have you repented?” She answered, “Repented of what?” The lady said, “Repented of your divorce.” She answered, “I have nothing to repent of, my husband left me and is with another woman.” Still, that church thought she should repent. I think their reasoning was that she could not have been a good wife or her husband would never have left her.

I know there are churches, like the Baptist Church, who elevate marriage above the teachings of Jesus. They want their women to be submissive and give their husbands sex on demand. It is the woman’s fault if a man isn’t happy in a marriage. Unbelievable, wicked and cruel beliefs.

I’ve got to give kudos to this woman for going to another church where she found love and acceptance. I gave up going to church many years ago since most of the members did not think or act like Jesus.

There are multiple stories in the Gospels of Jesus relating with women of all kinds, good or bad. The fact he ate with prostitutes was charged against him by the church leaders of that day. In the Bible, the longest conversation he had was with a woman who had five husbands and when Jesus met her, she was living with a man.

Jesus did not hold this against her, in fact as far as we know, she was the first person he told that he was the Messiah, the Savior of the world. She then ran and told the people of her city who then went to Jesus to ask him questions. Jesus stayed there two days and the people believed in him.

When Jesus saved a woman’s life who had been caught in adultery, he said, “I do not condemn you, go and sin no more.” Of course he doesn’t want us to sin, for sin always hurts people. But he doesn’t hold those bad things we have done against us. Not ever. And when we follow Jesus, we will not want to hurt people and we will ask him to help us. We want to be like Jesus who always knew what to say to each person in order to encourage and strengthen them and draw them to the Father who welcomes them into his family.

Do our works save us for eternal life? Jesus plainly said no. “This is the work of God, that you believe on him whom God has sent.” The gift of God is eternal life. It is a gift, not earned. We shouldn’t be discouraged when we sin because we are weak humans and will always have some sin in our lives until Jesus returns to take us to heaven. Pau says, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  Romans 6:23

“The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the word of faith we are proclaiming: that if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with your heart you believe and are justified, and with your mouth you confess and are saved." Romans 10:8-10

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For in Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set you free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful man, as an offering for sin. He thus condemned sin in the flesh, so that the righteous standard of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit."   Romans 8:1-4

"I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh; for I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do. And if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So, this is the principle I have discovered: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law. But I see another law at work in my body, warring against the law of my mind and holding me captive to the law of sin that dwells within me.

What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with my mind I serve the law of God, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin."  Romans 7:18-25