Saturday 21 September 2019

I Am.



The disciples of Jesus were in trouble. There was a storm on the Sea of Galilee. The boat was tossed and shaken when they saw someone walking on the water towards them. It was Jesus who said,

“Take courage. It is I. Do not be afraid.’ Mark 6:50

This passage has been translated multiple times as, “It is I.”  This week, I read that the original Greek says, “I am."

Jesus said, “I am. Do not be afraid.” The same two Greek words that Jesus used when he said, “Before Abraham was born, I am.” He was calling himself the divine name of God.

For me, this makes what he said as he walked on the sea more powerful. The sea and its waves belonged to him. He created them, he created us, he is all-knowing, all-seeing. How could we be afraid in the presence of the great “I Am.”

I’m aware we don’t know the actual Hebrew spelling of God’s name. They thought his name was too holy to speak so they left out the vowels of his name. But God never told them to do this. I wonder if we could call him, “I Am.” Or at least think of him this way much more often. It is the name he used to describe himself. It seems to me we should honor that.

“I Am,” gives me the feeling he is here, right now with me. Everything we know in this life dies, but his name means he is always here, always was here and always will be here. If we look up to the mountains and think, “I Am,” won’t we think, “Yes, you made these amazing mountains with all the life that is in them.”

As I write, I’m thinking how we are just like the disciples who never seemed to get what Jesus was talking about. It must have been frustrating for Jesus. And I think how God actually gave us his name, but we keep saying, “God.” Not that it is wrong, but wouldn’t it be great to say to people, “I worship, I Am.” They would say, “Huh?” Quite a great conversation would ensue, wouldn’t it? Maybe we have really missed the boat on this one.