Monday 28 September 2015

How to Become A Good Person.



This morning, I was reading 1 Corinthians 3:5.  "Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything being of ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God."

A lot of self-help people and people in general would not agree with Paul on this. Most people like to think of themselves as self-sufficient. However, God's words do not lie. He is saying we are not sufficient.

Paul here is talking about living a good life; a life of obeying God in all things. Aha! Do you feel sufficient now? No, we cannot keep the law of God or even be spiritual-minded without God. Only he is sufficient for all these things.

Jesus said, "Without me, you can do nothing." He means nothing good. We can do plenty of bad.

When I was a new Christian, at 19 years old, I had a picture of God looking down at me and seeing all my faults and sins. He wasn't a happy camper. I felt guilty all the time. This was the picture I got from my parents and church. Being good was talked about all the time, and woe betide you if you weren't. Sin being awful was talked about all the time. Jesus was nice, but you could only push him so far.

I'm 65 now and I have a whole different picture of God. He looks down at me and smiles. He is happy I am his child. He knows when I fail, but he is patient and forgiving. I am covered by the death and blood of his dear Son. Jesus is happy I am his child. He is thrilled when someone gives their life to him. I'm happy I make him happy; thinking of Him makes me happy and full of hope. That is my life now.

I thank you, Lord. I praise you, Lord. I can't wait to see you and live with you forever and ever.

"They will say of Me, 'Only in the LORD are righteousness and strength." Isaiah 45:24