Tuesday 2 May 2017

Are You Thirsty?



Mineral water spring in Nuskova.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:ModriDirkac

When Jesus talked with the woman at the well in Samaria, he likened himself to a spring of water: "Whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”  John 4:14

Thirsty. What are we thirsty for? For love, fun, romance, money, children, happiness, peace? I think we all are at one time in our lives

Have I been thirsty for the things of this world after giving myself to Jesus? Not at first, and not for 5 years. Then my first marriage broke up. I was lonely, very lonely and raising my two daughters. I was thirsty for love and companionship. I let this rule me for a very long time.

I remarried, but my new marriage was not what I hoped it would be. There was lots of fighting, mostly about how to raise the children. He was too strict in my eyes and I was too lenient in his eyes. This almost broke us up.

So, I was lonely again, even though I was married. I didn't feel loved and I thirsted for love. I didn't look at other men, but I longed for a man to truly love me. Eventually, God showed me that the desire I had for love from humans, men, children and grandchildren, was an idol. In fact, he showed me I loved my children more than I loved him. I didn't know that - but that day I saw it as plain as day.

I knew that I needed to turn from human love to his love. His love needed to be enough for me. I spent much more time praying, reading Christian books and the Bible. I found that Jesus' love is more than enough; it really is, "like a spring of water welling up to eternal life"

Like Joyce Meyer says, I was a Christian through all of this, but I was a sad Christian. Joyce says she was a Mad Christian. Lol  God was with me all through the years, blessing and helping me. We had a good relationship, but not the best we could have. Our relationship is much stronger now and I thirst for nothing but him. (As far as I know!)

"How precious is your steadfast love, O God! The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
They drink their fill of the abundance of Your house; And You give them to drink of the river of Your delights.
For with You is the fountain of life; In Your light we see light."  Psalm 36:7-9